Prawn, Spinach & Tomato Bake

I surprised everyone in the kitchen this week.
This revelation might seem trivial to you, but it's almost unheard of in my Kitchen Catastrophe world, and I'm super proud of how the meal turned out.

Every Tuesday Night is Girls Night, and this week was my turn to cook.

In keeping with my #healthspo journey goals, I scoured recipe books (and Pinterest, of course!) to find something suitably low in carbs.

At the same time, I knew we had some tomatoes and baby spinach in the fridge that was hanging on to the far edge of freshness (you know - that last day before mould sets in), so I had to come up with something to include those because I hate wasting food.

Here's what I made (and it was delicious):

Prawn, Spinach & Tomato Bake

Ingredients:

200g cherry / small vine tomatoes (you can use more, but might just have to increase seasoning)
olive oil, for drizzling
PnP pizza & pasta seasoning mix, to taste^
1 tbsp chermoula paste
1 squirt lemon juice
1 tbsp grated parmesan (or other strong, hard cheese)
400g small cooked prawns (shelled, deveined & defrosted)*
1 bunch baby spinach (as much as you want, really)
1 round feta cheese

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 230°C.
2. Arrange the tomatoes (bigger ones can be cut in half) in an ovenproof baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with PnP Pizza & Pasta seasoning. Bake for 10 minutes, or until tomato skins start to wrinkle. Remove dish from oven, but close the oven door and leave it on.
3. Whilst the tomatoes are baking, place chermoula, lemon juice, parmesan, a sprinkle of olive oil, the prawns, and baby spinach in a sealable container (Tupperware's round lettuce keeper worked for me). Shake and roll it around until the prawns and spinach are evenly coated with the spices.
4. Add the prawn mix to the baked tomatoes in the baking dish, lightly stir them around until they're evenly mixed, sprinkle feta cheese on top, and then return the dish to the oven to bake for another 5 - 10 minutes (or until the prawns have turned a nice and pink colour, not too much or they'll dry out).
5. Dish up and enjoy!



WINE NOTE:

My knowledge of wine is limited to the fact that I fell in love with the Pinot Gris version sold in New Zealand. I've yet to find one in South Africa that matches my taste buds, but we paired this meal with a bottle of Miss Lucy that I spotted in Woolworths. Tasty!

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

  • You may have to add some salt & pepper once dished. I prefer meals low in salt, but this isn't everyone's personal preference.
  • Franscois needs way more calories, so he ate his serving with some microwave jacket potatoes.


* I used Woolworths' (seeing the trend yet?). To defrost, keep them in the bag, place them in just enough HOT water to keep them covered (weigh down with a bowl, or something heavy enough so that they stay below the water surface, we used our stainless steel colander with a mug on top). If you do this before preheating the oven they should be ready by the time you need them.

^I can't find a link to this Pick 'n Pay product online, but this is what it looks like:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mykines Lighthouse, Faroe Islands

Dark Side of the Cookie

I Will Wait