Who Do You Talk To?

I guess it's safe to say that Deuteronomy is not one of the 'popular' books in the Bible. I also find it difficult to read. Maybe if I was a history buff, it wouldn't have become so monotonous to read about all those laws, rules and regulations...blah, blah, blah...

What made it easier for me, was First5. For example, when I read Krista Williams' teaching 'A Do-Over' on Deuteronomy 1, I realised that Moses tried to warn the new generation against following in the old one's missteps. As a result, God provided them with a second chance.

I was also struck by what I believe the Israelites' biggest mistake was - instead of following His instructions, they started complaining and talking amongst themselves. ['You grumbled in your tents and said, "The Lord hates us; so he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us. Where can we go? Our brothers have made our hearts melt in fear...' - Deuteronomy 1:27-28 NIV]

We were blessed with free will, so obviously our brains want to make sense of our surroundings by asking questions. That's not what I think their biggest mistake was. (Although for the life of me, I don't see how they could doubt Him - I mean, fire by night, clouds by day to lead the way? That's pretty extraordinary.)

I think gossiping amongst themselves was their biggest mistake. Instead of fanning the flames of doubt, they should have turned to God first. Maybe it just wasn't that easy for them back them. They still had to rely on Moses to be their middleman. We're lucky! Thanks to Jesus, we have the opportunity to talk to God wherever and whenever we want to.

When it comes to work-related matters, I can't say that I never use colleagues as soundboards, but since my Aha!-moment in October, I try to remind myself to always talk to God first before talking to others. So far, in terms of avoiding disastrous decisions made in haste, it's been working out pretty well for me. Give it a try and see for yourself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mykines Lighthouse, Faroe Islands

Dark Side of the Cookie

I Will Wait